People believe in brushing teeth at different times of the day and a different number of times in a day. Hence one may be confused as to how many times and when to brush your teeth.
It is generally recommended to brush your teeth twice a day, before breakfast and after dinner.
Developing this habit as a routine helps you not forget to brush your teeth every day. It is advised to wake up in the morning swish your mouth nicely with water then brush your teeth for approximately 2 minutes.
- It is generally not recommended to brush soon after eating. If your meal contains acidic foodstuff like citric fruit or juices then there might be every chance that you might land up causing erosion of your teeth. If you are very particular to brush your teeth after breakfast, then wait for 30-45 mins before you brush.
- Brushing too many times a day after every meal is also not recommended since it may cause erosion of your tooth material and damage your gums. It is recommended that you swish your mouth thoroughly after every meal and brushing in the morning and at bedtime should be good enough.
- On the contrary, you can also use mouth wash and sugar-free gum chewing after other meals of the day.
- At night time, please brush about 30-45 mins after having dinner before going to bed. It is also recommended to floss your teeth every night. There are many areas of the teeth where the brush cannot reach. Flossing helps you clean the areas between teeth. Food lodgment happening between teeth when left uncleaned is a quick call for decay.
- Also remember to use a soft bristle brush, a fluoridated toothpaste, and correct brushing technique
Making brushing twice a day a routine will help you not forget brushing at night and also give you a healthy mouth. Do visit your dentist twice a year so that any dental issues can be picked up at the earliest and treated.