Best Dental Care in Bellandur
Bruxism is the unnecessary, excessive and unconscious grinding of teeth. It is an oral parafunctional activity.
Usually, bruxism may be caused by stress and anxiety. However, things like an altered bite, missing teeth, malaligned teeth or disorders like sleep apnoea may also be the cause.
How do you know about the problem?
- Sometimes the clenching of teeth is so loud that the person sleeping next to you can hear it
- The person may wake up to mild headache, soreness in the jaw or muscular fatigue of the jaw
- When examined by your dentist, he can see excessive wearing of the teeth
- Fracture of teeth
- Repeated fracture of dental restorations
- Excessive wear of the teeth may also cause sensitivity issues
The treatment of Bruxism includes a remedial treatment. If you feel you are stressed at work
- attend some distressing programs
- get into some regular exercise regimen
- drink less of caffeine related drinks like cola, coffee or chocolate
- do not drink alcohol
- during the day make a conscious effort not to chew on anything other than food (like biting on a pencil etc.,)
As you consult a dentist, you may be advised to use a night guard.
Night guard protects you teeth from wearing off and help protect the tooth enamel. Your dentist will make an impression and get a night guard made from the laboratory. As you wear the guard at bedtime if your habit continues, the teeth will rub against the soft guard and help protect the tooth enamel from wearing off. Since the guard occupies the little gap between teeth it also tends to give relief to the aching muscles of the jaw.
If there are evident situations like altered bite with premature contacts in any of the teeth you may be advised to go in for orthodontic correction of the bite.
One cannot regenerate the lost enamel but at least these changes will help protect the enamel and prevent its further deterioration.